Mushrooms Stuffed With Asparagus And Bacon

These stuffed mushrooms have a great combination of flavors!

This recipe is gluten free because I never add breadcrumbs to any of my stuffed mushrooms.  It seems like it would take away from the flavors.

I trimmed the fat off of the bacon before I cooked it, then mixed the cooked bacon with little pieces of asparagus, onion, fresh thyme and goat cheese.

If your mushrooms are pretty good sized, you should precook them for a few minutes with the top side up before you fill them.

I had always bought Chavre brand goat cheese to use in my recipes but this time I saw Safeway’s own brand in the case right next to it at a much cheaper price.  It is called Primo Taglio, the same as the deli meats that they have made especially for them.  I was really happy with the flavor of the goat cheese and happier yet to not pay the high price of Chavre which has gone up a lot in recent years.

This recipe makes 12 stuffed mushrooms but you might want to make more so you have some leftovers.  They are great the next day if you cut them up and add them to scrambled eggs.  They also will reheat nicely in a small covered pan if you want to serve them as an appetizer again.  They won’t be quite as pretty as the first night but they will taste great!

I shared this with Hearth And Soul Hop at A Moderate Life, Tuesday Night Supper Club at Fudge Ripple, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday at Simply Sugar And Gluten Free, Gluten Free Wednesdays at The Gluten Free Homemaker, Real Food Wednesday at Kelly The Kitchen Kop, Monday Mania at The Healthy Home Economist, Mouthwatering Monday at A Southern Fairytale, Homemaker Monday at 11th Heaven’s Homemaking Haven, Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades Of Green, Everyday Sisters Sharing Sundays at Everyday Sisters

16 Responses to Mushrooms Stuffed With Asparagus And Bacon
  1. Aubree Cherie
    April 12, 2011 | 5:47 am

This looks so amazing! I’ve been craving a good mushroom dish lately and this seems like it would be incredibly satisfying – love the addition of bacon! I’ve added it to Favorite Recipes of Last Week post. Check it out! Thanks, ~Aubree

April 12, 2011 | 10:42 am

Thank you so much Aubree Cherie! I love stuffed mushrooms and you will be able to find many more recipes in the future!

3. Christine
    April 12, 2011 | 10:57 am

I discovered stuffed mushrooms last summer and man, are they good, so I can only imagine how tasty these are with all their bacon-y goodness. :)

4. Michele@FitFoodista
    April 14, 2011 | 7:07 am

Heavenly! The combination of flavors and textures here sounds absolutely to die for.

Thanks so much for linking this great recipe to the Hearth and Soul Hop ;)

April 18, 2011 | 9:54 am

Hi Michele! Thank you so much for your comment!

April 18, 2011 | 9:55 am

Thank you Christine! I absolutely love stuffed mushrooms because you can take them so many different directions!

7. christy
    April 18, 2011 | 1:51 pm

oh my goodness…these look amazing! i love the idea of putting the leftovers in a morning scramble…that sounds divine. thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

8. Barb @ A Life in Balance
    April 19, 2011 | 4:38 am

I have to pass this recipe along to my mil is following a gluten-free diet. I never considered that I could use other stuffings besides bread crumbs. Brie is another cheese that bakes well and probably would taste good in this recipe.

April 19, 2011 | 10:40 am

Thank you so much for your nice comments Christy!

April 19, 2011 | 10:41 am

Thanks for your comments Barb! I never use breadcrumbs in any of my stuffed mushroms- it has always seemed like a waste of space and carbos to me!

11. Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies
    April 19, 2011 | 1:30 pm

Mmm, I could pop those mushrooms in my mouth all day long.

April 19, 2011 | 3:39 pm

Thank you Lisa! They are yummy!

13. Ellen
    June 25, 2011 | 5:30 pm

I’m really interested in gluten free cooking. Your blog is such a great resource for some delicous gluten free recipes. I have a friend with celiac disease so I’m sure she would love to visit your blog!

My sisters and I just started our first themed blog hop over at http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com beginning tomorrow. This weeks theme is appetizers. We would love for you to come over and share these or any of your favorite appetizer recipes with our blog readers. Have a greet weekend.

Ellen

June 26, 2011 | 8:04 am

Thank you for the nice comments Ellen! I will come over and check out your blog hop right now, thanks for the invite!

15. Ellen
    July 3, 2011 | 5:32 am

Thank you for posting this recipe on Everyday Sisters Sharing Sundays – Appetizers!! This weeks theme is CHICKEN. Please come back and post some of your favorite chicken recipes to share with our followers. We hope to see you there!

Ellen

July 4, 2011 | 9:14 am

Thank you Ellen! I appreciate the invitation.