Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

This Peanut Butter cookie recipe is a classic that has been around for years.  It is naturally gluten free since it doesn’t have any flour in it.   I can’t take credit for creating this recipe but I did reduce the sugar from 1 cup to 3/4 of a cup.  It was really sweet the way it was.  I can only imagine how sweet it would be if you used the commercial brands of peanut butter that have sugar in them!  Have you looked at the ingredients on your jars of peanut butter?  I bought a jar at Safeway last year without looking and I was shocked that there was sugar in there.  The only reason I can think of to put sugar in peanut butter would be to hook the little kids (and their parents) sweet tooth. Pretty lame, whoever thought of doing that!

Please buy the more natural unsweetened peanut butter for your families, it is much healthier!  I used Laura Scudders Smooth Unsalted Peanut Butter and the cookies turned out great.  I also tried it another time with Trader Joe’s Unsalted Creamy Valencia Peanut Butter- it was perfect too.

I made this recipe at  Christmastime and I added chocolate chips to one batch.  It tasted good, but the chocolate seemed to overpower the nice peanut butter flavor.  I gave some to my neighbor who is a confirmed chocoholic and she felt the same way- she preferred them without the chocolate chips.  Here’s the photo of them with chocolate chips.

I shared this recipe with Slightly Indulgent Tuesday at Simply Sugar And Gluten Free, Pennywise Platter Thursday at The Nourishing Gourmet, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli ‘N Son, Sweets For A Saturday at Sweet As Sugar Cookies, Potluck Sunday at Mommy’s Kitchen, Monday Mania at The Healthy Home Economist, Mouthwatering Monday at A Southern Fairy Tale, Homemaker Monday at 11th Heaven’s Homemaking Haven, Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty And Bedlam

7 Responses to Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
  1. Elle
    March 8, 2011 | 1:23 pm

Oh my gosh, I have a case of the munchies and would love some of these right now! I love making flourless cookies.

March 8, 2011 | 1:46 pm

Hi Elle! At least these make up really fast so you can act on it when you get the munchies!

3. Miz Helen
    March 11, 2011 | 10:30 am

Hi Andrea,
    I have been trying to leave a comment on your awesome Sweet Potatoes and it won’t let me. These cookies look awesome as well. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

4. bakingmama25
    March 12, 2011 | 1:18 pm

Hi! I found your blog through sweet as sugar cookies.
    These look great and since I have several friends that can’t have gluten I am always on the lookout for new gluten-free recipes.

March 12, 2011 | 2:14 pm

Hi BakingMama! Thank you for coming to see my blog!

6. deborah mele
    May 22, 2013 | 9:52 am

These cookies look great but I’m going to try making them with my homemade almond butter instead of peanut butter. Would like to decrease the amount of sugar though and use something a little more natural. Wonder if I used honey instead, and used a little almond flour to bind the cookies in place of sugar?

May 22, 2013 | 10:54 am

Hi Deborah,
    Almond butter would be fun and so would other nut (and seed) butters! Honey would be great in these Peanut Butter Cookies too- let me know how they turn out!
    I posted this recipe before I started using coconut palm sugar and liquid stevia. I will remake them next time with some combination of those sweeteners. Do you use liquid stevia? I am going to work my way through all of my recipes and try to make them healthier without all of the traditional sugar. You might really like the Oatmeal Cookies that I posted in the Coconut Palm Sugar section of my blog: http://www.andreaskitchen.net/category/coconut-palm-sugar-recipes-and-info/

Thanks for your question!
    Andrea