Meyer Lemon Mousse

It’s Meyer Lemon season so I feel obliged to share another one of my yummy lemon recipes with you!

This mousse really does taste like a combination of the filling and the meringue of a great lemon meringue pie!

It is very creamy and not as heavy as the filling of a lemon meringue pie because of the addition of beaten egg whites folded into the mousse right before you chill it.

The egg whites are not cooked, so if you have any concerns about their safety, use pasturized dried egg whites instead.

If you love lemon, you will love this mousse recipe!  You can make it with “regular” lemons, but you will need to reduce the amount of lemon juice and zest .  You might need to add more sugar too.

This recipe makes 5-6 individual ramekins of mousse, depending on how full you fill them.

If your local store does not carry Meyer lemons, a wonderful online source for Organic Meyer lemons is Birch-Hill Organics in California.  They were nice enough to donate a box of their Meyer lemons for my giveaway that just ended January 31st.  The smallest box that they sell is 7 pounds of lemons for $45, but that includes shipping.  The Meyer lemons that I just worked with here in Arizona averaged about 5 per pound, so if the lemons from Birch-Hill are the same size you will get about 35 lemons.  If that is more than you can use (you can always freeze the zest and juice like I do), you could go in with a friend or two on a box.  You will love them when you try them!

I shared this recipe with Tuesdays At The Table at All Of The Small Stuff, Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades Of Green, Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty And Bedlam, Works For Me Wednesday at We Are That Family, Simple Lives Thursday at A Little Bit Of Spain In Iowa, Pennywise Platter Thursday at The Nourishing Gourmet, Foodie Friday at Designs By Gollum, Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade, Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home, Fun With Food Friday at Paisley Passions, Thoughts On Friday In The Middle Of The Road at A Moderate Life, Sweets For A Saturday at Sweet As Sugar Cookies, Gluten Free Wednesdays at The Gluten Free Homemaker

29 Responses to Meyer Lemon Mousse
  1. amelia
    February 22, 2011 | 12:55 pm

Lemon is one of my favorite flavors, this looks delicious. :)

2. alissa@33shadesofgreen
    February 23, 2011 | 7:47 am

Hi Andrea – What a great recipe. I’ve never made mousse but I think I might need to try this one. I love anything with lemons. I am going to be in AZ in a couple weeks so I should be able to find Meyer lemons there! Thanks for linking up!
    Alissa

February 23, 2011 | 11:09 am

Hi Amelia! Lemon is one of my favorite flavors too (especially Meyers!) Thanks for commenting!

February 23, 2011 | 11:10 am

Hi Alissa! Thanks and please let me know if you try this recipe!

February 24, 2011 | 12:42 pm

Andrea, you have my mouth watering. I know we would love this mousse.

February 24, 2011 | 7:16 pm

Thank you Linda! I hope you will try it!

7. Danielle @ Analytical Mom
    February 24, 2011 | 8:25 pm

This looks so delicious and reminds me of my grandma’s lemon meringue pie (she grew lemons outside her kitchen window in CA)! I haven’t tried Meyer lemons before – are they larger and sweeter than normal lemons? I will have to go raid the produce section.
    Thank you for this recipe!
    I found you through Simple Lives Thursdays, by the way.

8. Teresa
    February 24, 2011 | 8:52 pm

I’ve tried Meyer Lemons in a parfait this season and they were really good. I bet they’re equally amazing in your Mousse. Thanks for sharing!

9. Allison @ Alli 'n Son
    February 24, 2011 | 8:53 pm

Mmmm, this sounds wonderful.

I’d love to have you share this recipe with Sweet Tooth Friday! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/24/cream-cheese-brownies/

February 24, 2011 | 8:56 pm

I hardly ever use “normal” lemons anymore since I found Meyers!

February 24, 2011 | 9:00 pm

Hi Danielle! Thanks for coming to visit my blog! Meyers usually seem to be a little rounder shape and without the points on the ends like regular lemons. Their skin is thinner too. I hope you find them- they are wonderful!

12. LeAnne @ The Purposed Heart
    February 25, 2011 | 11:23 am

I LOVE lemon desserts and this one looks amazing! I will definitely have to try this! Thanks for sharing it with us!

I just wrote a post this week about getting the most out of your citrus fruits, and it sounds like you do just that! You are a girl after my own heart!

Thanks again for the recipe – LeAnne

13. lynn
    February 25, 2011 | 5:28 pm

I keep telling myself I’ll stop printing out more recipes before my stack of “to try” simply gives up and tips over, but I simply must break my rule and print this out! It looks so yummy. We have a Meyer lemon tree in our yard with lots of fruit on it at the moment. Over the last couple winters I’ve made breads and cookies and curd, but never lemon mousse. I think it’s time :) Thanks for sharing this.

February 25, 2011 | 5:29 pm

Thank you LeeAnne!

February 25, 2011 | 5:32 pm

Lynn, you don’t even want to know how many recipes that I have cut out (2 lateral file drawers full!) I gather them and then when I want to make something I might have several for the same type of recipe so I can decide which recipe makes the most sense (or a combination of several)

16. Melynda@Moms Sunday Cafe
    February 25, 2011 | 9:37 pm

This sounds wonderful!

February 25, 2011 | 9:40 pm

Thank you Melynda!

18. Alea
    February 26, 2011 | 11:07 am

This sounds delicious! I have a friend who loves lemon desserts and I am always happy to find a new one to make for her.

I am visiting from The 21rst Century Housewife and am now following you on twitter and RSS. I am gf, but I currently have guest posters, who are not, covering for me while I’m on break.

February 26, 2011 | 11:38 am

Hi Alea! I am so happy you found my blog! Thank you for your nice comments!

20. Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook
    February 27, 2011 | 3:48 pm

Looks amazing! Meyers are so good, I buy a lot and freeze them so I always have them on hand! I’m stopping by from Sweet as Sugar Cookies Sweets for a Saturday!

February 27, 2011 | 3:53 pm

Hi Carol! Thanks for coming to check out my blog! Sweets For A Saturday is one of my favorite blog hops!

22. April@The 21st Century Housewife
    February 28, 2011 | 3:39 pm

Hi Andrea

Thank you for linking up to the Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me Home Blog Hop. Your lemon mousse looks amazing. We can’t get Meyer lemons in England but I’ve had some while I have been here in California and they really are lovely. I’ll still try your mousse using ordinary lemons though!

February 28, 2011 | 3:51 pm

Hi April! Thank you for your nice comments! I’m glad you were at least able to try Meyer lemons! Please let me know if you make this mousse!

24. amy
    March 1, 2011 | 1:11 pm

Hi there…I’m hosting the Culinary Smackdown Battle for March–the theme is Cookies. Would you like to join in for the fun? It doesn’ have to be a new post on your blog. You can pick your favorite cookie from your previous post too. All you have to do is link up your cookie creation. I have some great prizes waiting. Hope to see your entry soon!

Amy

March 1, 2011 | 4:54 pm

Hi Amy! Thanks for the invite! Now I just need to choose my favorite cookie- that’s a tough decision!

26. Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies
    March 3, 2011 | 11:49 pm

Mmm, you’re so giving me some wonderful ideas for how to use my meyer lemons. This looks delish. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

March 4, 2011 | 1:10 am

Thank you Lisa!

28. Eileen B
    April 18, 2012 | 8:35 pm

I’m always on the lookout for good chocolate-free gluten-free desserts, and this looks wonderful. Pinned!

April 19, 2012 | 12:03 pm

You are so nice Eileen- thanks!