Pork Pozole Soup

If you have never tried a Mexican soup called Pozole, you are in for a treat!

If you already know and enjoy it, please let me know if you use different ingredients in the soup or in the garnish- it’s always fun to change things up a little!

My version of Pozole is made with boneless pork but each cook in Mexico has their own recipe.  Some make Pozole from chicken and others combine pork and chicken.  I haven’t seen it, but you could certainly create an all veggie version too.

The ingredient that all Pozole has in common is hominy.  It also has fresh pasilla chiles (you could use Anaheims too), onions and tomatoes.

The soup part of the Pozole tastes great, but it is the garnish that makes it a lot more interesting and fun!

I serve my Pozole in wide shallow bowls and garnish with a squeeze of lime, sliced radishes, chopped cilantro, shredded lettuce or cabbage, chopped green onions, diced avocados and thin strips of crisply fried corn tortillas.  You can also offer dried crushed red chile peppers if more heat is desired.

The flavors in this soup are even better the next day- just be sure you have fresh garnish for the top!

This soup also freezes well (if you have any left over!)

I shared this recipe with Foodie Friday at Designs By Gollum, Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade, Food On Friday at Ann Kroeker, Potluck Sunday at Mommys Kitchen, Monday Mania at The Healthy Home Economist, Mouthwatering Monday at A Southern Fairy Tale, Tuesdays At The Table at All Of The Small Stuff, Finer Things Friday at The Finer Things In Life, Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home, Gluten Free Wednesday at The Gluten Free Homemaker, This Weeks Cravings at Mom’s Crazy Cooking

12 Responses to Pork Pozole Soup
  1. Ginny
    January 28, 2011 | 11:50 am

I absolutely love pozole! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

January 28, 2011 | 2:14 pm

It’s absolutely one of my favorite soups too! Thanks for your comment Ginny!

3. Pattie @ Olla-Podrida
    January 30, 2011 | 2:31 pm

Gosh, this sounds good. I’m just back from shopping with the threat of an “Historic Winter Storm” looming ahead. So I think I bought absolutely everything I could ever possibly need until summer comes. So, I have all of the ingredients to make this. I see a LOT of cooking ahead.

January 30, 2011 | 4:18 pm

Thanks for your comment Pattie! I hope your storm isn’t as bad as they say! I can’t even imagine dealing with the kind of weather that you do!

5. meredith moza
    January 30, 2011 | 4:46 pm

That looks amazing! I love pozole, so thank you for sharing the recipe!

January 30, 2011 | 6:27 pm

Thanks for commenting Meredith! I will be doing lots more soups for the next couple of months!

March 15, 2011 | 11:55 am

This looks terrific. Thanks for sharing it a Gluten-Free Wednesdays!

March 15, 2011 | 3:21 pm

Thank you Linda!

9. Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING
    May 6, 2011 | 2:54 pm

Thanks for linking up to THIS WEEK’s CRAVINGS “Mexican Dishes”. We appreciate you sharing your recipe with us! We hope you come back next Monday for “Brunch Recipes / Mother’s Day”. Have a great weekend!

10. Carla
    May 7, 2011 | 4:17 am

I’m visiting from This Weeks Cravings. I am going to have to give Posole one more try with your recipe. I made it once and it was terrible. I think I cooked it too long and the hominy turned out really mushy as I remember. I used a recipe from Bobby Flay with chicken. Didn’t like it at all! Thanks for the inspiration.

May 8, 2011 | 11:38 am

Hi Carla, I think you will like my version of Pozole. Add your hominy closer to the end of the cooking time so it will keep it’s texture for you. Thanks for commenting!

May 8, 2011 | 11:40 am