Clam Chowder

This chowder recipe has all of the flavors of a good Boston or New England style clam chowder.  It is more brothy, rather than being heavy and thick with cream and flour.

I didn’t want to compromise the flavor, so this recipe is not dairy free.  I used only a tablespoon of butter and one half cup total of 1/2 and 1/2.  I also used rice milk so I was able to keep the amount of 1/2 and 1/2 down.

I used canned whole baby clams and was very pleased with how tender they were in the chowder.  Be sure to wait until the end to add the clams or they could get rubbery in texture.

All and all, I think this is a very healthy and flavorful version of many people’s favorite soup.

I shared this recipe with Monday Mania at The Healthy Home Economist,  Potluck Sunday at Mommy’s Kitchen, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday at Simply Sugar And Gluten Free, This Weeks Cravings at Mom’s Crazy Cooking, Soup-a-Palooza at Tidy Mom, Gluten Free Wednesdays at The Gluten Free Homemaker

8 Responses to Clam Chowder
  1. pat johnson
    January 19, 2011 | 9:08 am

Oh, my goodness. The lemons giveaway would be great. We love lemons at our house and I can’t wait to try some of your lemon recipes.

2. Eleanore
    January 19, 2011 | 11:02 am

I’d love to enter the drawing. I think I’d try the lemon cream cheese and smoked salmon recipe first! Yum!

3. AmandaH
    January 20, 2011 | 3:35 pm

Wow. It’s the cream that usually carries the clam chowder. You have some great flavors in this. I bet it was fantastic

January 20, 2011 | 3:59 pm

Hi Amanda! Thanks for your comment! It really is good and the lighter style is much nicer in my mind.

5. Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING
    February 16, 2011 | 12:54 pm

Thanks for linking to THIS WEEK’S CRAVINGS! Come back next week for “cherry” recipes for Washington’s Birthday!

February 16, 2011 | 5:16 pm

Thanks Tina! Sounds fun!

7. liz
    February 26, 2012 | 4:23 pm

Every can of baby or minced clams has sugar in the ingredients….do you know what brand of canned whole clams has no added sugar…or how to find out?
    Thanks

February 26, 2012 | 5:31 pm

Hi Liz,

I just did a search on Amazon.com for baby clams and I did not find any that listed sugar as an ingredient. The brands that I saw and have also purchased in local stores are: Cento whole baby clams, Crown Prince wild caught boiled baby clams, Roland whole baby clams, Chicken of The Sea whole baby clams.

Here is the link to that Amazon page: This first short link was created by Add This : http://amzn.to/AsyaFl I just tried it and it works, but I am giving you the long link too, just in case. http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=canned%20clams&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acanned%20clams&page=1#/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acanned+clams&keywords=canned+clams&ie=UTF8&qid=1330301894

I hope this helps!