Apricot Almond Refrigerator Cookies

Here’s another cookie recipe that I’ve been making for 20 years!

I just converted it from “regular flour” to gluten free last week.  It was a friendly recipe, thank goodness because it was perfect the first attempt.

The only thing that I changed was the flour and I added 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum and I increased the egg from one to one and a half.

This recipe has somewhat of a shortbread cookie texture.  The apricots and almonds in this cookie make it great tasting and very special.

Other than chopping up the apricots and the almonds, this cookie is very easy and fast to make.  It does need some chilling time in the refrigerator because you form the dough into 2 logs and then just cut them into slices and bake after they are chilled.

I think I will be using this base cookie without the apricots and almonds for other recipes because it works so well.

I have been doing very well with my cookie recipe tests and conversions this year- I have made about a dozen different kinds of cookies and only had one that I wouldn’t make again.  It was a coconut cookie (not my recipe!) and it just was blah and not worth the calories!

I made another pecan cookie that I will be posting and it took a couple of tries because the original recipe called for too high of an oven temperature.

I made a coffee and raisin cookie that is good, but just has too much flour I think.  I will try it again with less flour.

I shared the link to this recipe with Food On Friday at Ann Kroeker,  Merry Merry Munchies at Dining With Debbie,  Gluten Free Wednesdays at The Gluten Free Homemaker, Make It With. . . Mondays at Couscous And Consciousness

7 Responses to Apricot Almond Refrigerator Cookies
    December 17, 2010 | 9:15 pm

I have some dried apricots that need to be used. This sounds like a great way to use them.

December 18, 2010 | 10:53 am

I love cookies with dried apricots in them! It’s fun because you don’t see them as often as other types of cookies. I have 2 other different recipes with apricots that I still need to convert to gluten free. I think these are my favorites though!

3. Terry
    December 22, 2010 | 11:58 am

Your cookies look great!!! I would have to replace the sugar with Xylitol.. but I think that would work.

I am a new follower on twitter (CandidaJourney)

Also, I have a Gluten Free Blog linky up if you would like to link up. There are 24 blogs linked up so far

4. Johanna B
    December 29, 2010 | 9:19 am

Can’t wait to try these. I love apricots but I’ve never tried them in cookies. Yum.

December 29, 2010 | 10:11 am

Hi Johanna! Thanks for commenting! I have 2 more apricot cookie recipes to convert to gluten free (and tons of other cookie recipes) so keep checking back for more!

6. Couscous & Consciousness
    February 8, 2011 | 12:09 am

These are great looking cookies Andrea – apricots and almonds are such a great combo, but as you suggest the base cookie would probably lent itself well to all sorts of other combinations.

Thanks so much for sharing these at Make it with … Mondays, challenge almonds – I do hope you’ll join in again.

Sue :-)