Smoky Cauliflower Soup With Kale

I used to make this recipe as a potato soup and just last week converted it to cauliflower instead.  I am always looking for ways to reduce the carbs in foods that we eat- that way I have “carb credits” for when I bake!

This is a very simple soup to prepare and since it is pureed it freezes well with no loss of texture.

I just added a link to this recipe at another blog: The Gluten Free Homemaker.  I love finding new blogs, especially when they are gluten free!  The Gluten Free Homemaker has a feature called Gluten Free Wednesdays where we can all add a link to one of our recipes- it’s a fun way for people to get ideas of new things to cook.

I also shared this recipe with the Virtual Soup Swap at A Southern Fairy Tale, Homemaker Monday at 11th Heaven’s Homemaking Haven, Thoughts On Friday In The Middle Of The Road at A Moderate Life, Gluten Free Wednesdays at The Gluten Free Homemaker

13 Responses to Smoky Cauliflower Soup With Kale
  1. Florentina
    October 26, 2010 | 8:51 pm

Yummy! What a great idea to swap the potatoes for cauliflower. My mom used to make a delicious cauliflower soup, now I need to call her and ask what was in it. This sounds really good though!

October 26, 2010 | 8:59 pm

Thank you for the nice comment Florentina! I have so many ideas of other directions to take this soup- it could go to Mexican flavors, curry, you name it!

3. Eleanore
    October 27, 2010 | 3:19 pm

This looks absolutely delish! I’m making it this weekend!

October 27, 2010 | 7:31 pm

Thanks Eleanore! You are going to love it!

5. How To Bake A Crocodile
    October 27, 2010 | 11:43 pm

Oh this looks fantastic! I didn’t realize that this wouldn’t count as a carb but I love that idea. I’m on a big soup kick lately so this will get made very soon.

October 28, 2010 | 5:40 am

I love the idea of using cauliflower instead of potatoes. I’ll have to give that a try, though I do love potato soup. The bacon in this makes it sound especially good. Thanks for participating in Gluten-Free Wednesdays!

7. judee@glutenfreeA-Z
    October 28, 2010 | 6:18 am

The soup looks amazing, and I love your pictures too.I too like to find lower carb recipes. Since cauliflower is now at the farm stands, this is a perfect soup to make.. I am vegetarian so I will have to leave out the bacon..

8. April@The 21st Century Housewife
    January 25, 2011 | 9:15 am

Your soup sounds just delicious! Thank you for linking up to Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me Home – I’ve followed you on Twitter. Hope to see you again this Friday for another edition of Feed Me Tweet Me!

January 25, 2011 | 5:30 pm

Thank you April! I love participating in everybody’s link ups! It’s a fun way to get to know other people and their cooking styles.

10. Deidre
    March 23, 2011 | 6:33 pm

Yum, I love cauliflower!

March 23, 2011 | 8:14 pm

Hi Deidre! Thanks for your comment!

12. Charlotte
    April 10, 2011 | 7:05 am

Since “orange” cauliflower has a buttery taste, have you thought about using this cauliflower and avoiding the bacon grease or butter when sauteing the onions and garlic. I saute my veggies in water. Works fine and it avoids making the soup or other recipes so fattening. Also, instead of bacon, you could add 1 teaspoon liquid smoke. I do it all the time and it gives a recipe a smokey taste (bacon taste-not texture). Try it and see what you think. You will avoid fat and cut down on salt in the recipe.

April 10, 2011 | 8:29 am

Hi Charlotte! Thanks for the comment!