Soy Free Teriyaki Style Marinade

I created this recipe because I love the flavor of Teriyaki but I don’t usually eat soy.

My Mom used to make a marinade that was close to this that did include soy so I just tweaked it a little more to suit our taste.

Two different kinds of balsamic vinegar stand in for the soy sauce, plus there is lemon juice, fresh ginger and fresh garlic.  I balanced the acid with brown sugar.

It doesn’t taste exactly like traditional Teriyaki, but I’m happy to have created something that is close enough to satsfy a craving for those flavors.

This recipe makes about 1 cup of the marinade which is enough for 2-4 chicken half breasts with bone and skin.

I made a double recipe for the 6 breasts that we grilled last night.

It is best to marinade the chicken in this mixture for 12-24 hours so it will be very tender and moist.  If you don’t have that much time, I would recomend blending the mixture in your blender or food processor before adding it to the meat.

This recipe would be great for either chicken or pork.

I just linked to this recipe at another great blog called the WHOLE Gang which stands for Whole Healthy Organic Living Everyday.   Diane has a feature on her blog every Friday called Friday Foodie Fix.  She names a secret ingredient every week (this week it was balsamic vinegar) and if you have a posted recipe with that ingredient then you can link to your recipe from her post.  It is a very fun feature and attracts many innovative recipe postings.

9 Responses to Soy Free Teriyaki Style Marinade
  1. LEXIE
    October 16, 2010 | 5:42 am

I LOVE this idea! I am a teriyaki girl and have been asked for soy alternatives. Thanks for sharing!

October 16, 2010 | 8:32 am

Thanks for leaving a comment Lexie and I’m glad you found my blog!

3. Chris
    April 6, 2011 | 8:44 am

Thanks for the recipe. I notice you listed “canola oil” in the ingredients list, but then comment that your husband adds more “olive oil.” I far prefer the taste of olive to canola, so wanted to know if this was a typo. Thanks again!

April 6, 2011 | 10:32 am

Hi Chris! Thanks for catching that! I originally used canola oil in this recipe but then I changed it later to olive oil. It is all about personal preference!

5. Chris
    April 8, 2011 | 4:00 am

This is a nice recipe, Andrea. Thanks for sharing. One effect soy sauce has that I don’t see captured in the ingredients is that of saltiness. I made this exact recipe last night (a double batch) and added 3 tblsp fish sauce, which is often used by Asian cooks as a replacement for soy sauce. It did a nice job of bringing the saltiness into the marinade. Give it a try!

6. Chris
    April 8, 2011 | 4:08 am

Also, if you have time, I recommend allowing the marinade to sit by itself overnight so the flavors infuse together. There was a huge difference in the taste between time I made it and the next day. I’ll be using this recipe a lot in the future. Thanks again!

April 8, 2011 | 9:51 am

Thank you so much for your feedback Chris! I love how recipes can be tailored to each person’s taste!

8. Laura
    September 15, 2013 | 4:30 pm

Thanks for the recipe. it gives me a starting point. I am going to try using coconut aminos somewhere in there as that is what I use as a substitute for soy. My son is allergic to soy.

9. Laura
    October 14, 2013 | 8:42 am

Try coconut amino acids in place of the vinegar.