Green Bean Salad With Fennel, Dried Blueberries And Blue Cheese

This is really an incredible salad!

I try to make all of my salads very interesting and flavorful (and pretty!) because sometimes when I eat a salad I start with very good intentions but tend to get bored before I am done with it.   Not this one!

This salad is made with fresh steamed green beans and fennel.  If you don’t care for fennel, you can just double the amount of green beans and/or use some fresh or canned yellow wax beans for more color.

This salad has dried blueberries, pecans and a touch of blue cheese for flavor.

If you are very allergic to gluten you should not use blue cheese because the mold in it is started with flour (sorry!).  You can substitute any other cheese that works for you or no cheese at all- this salad will still be great!

I hope that you can find really fresh fennel bulbs because the flavor is much better.  They get bitter as they age but it is hard to find them really fresh because a lot of stores don’t sell them fast enough.

If you are not going to serve this salad right after making it, wait to add the blue cheese and olive oil.  Add those ingredients right before you serve the salad and don’t stir too much, otherwise it will look “oily” from the blue cheese.

I shared this recipe with Meatless Mondays at Midnight Maniac, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday at Simply Sugar And Gluten Free, Tuesdays At The Table at All Of The Small Stuff, Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades Of Green, Tuesday Night Supper Club at Fudge Ripple, Gluten Free Wednesdays at The Gluten Free Homemaker, Real Food Wednesday at Kelly The KitchenKop

10 Responses to Green Bean Salad With Fennel, Dried Blueberries And Blue Cheese
  1. Christine
    February 15, 2011 | 6:25 pm

I’ve never tried having fennel before, but this salad looks like a good way to try it.

February 15, 2011 | 7:34 pm

It is a good way Christine! When you steam the fennel it makes it taste more mild, so it’s perfect for first timers!

3. Wendy @ Celiacs in the House
    February 16, 2011 | 11:11 am

I have some fennel and green beans that I’m going to try together now that I’ve read your post. I don’t have the rest of the ingredients around, but the fennel was left from a risotto recipe and I need to use it up. I just love Linda’s Gluten-Free Wednesdays for getting great ideas.

4. alissa@33shadesofgreen
    February 16, 2011 | 5:07 pm

Wow – what an unusual combination of ingredients! But it sounds absolutely delicious and it’s so beautiful too. Thanks for sharing @ Tasty Tuesdays!
    Alissa

February 16, 2011 | 5:16 pm

Thanks for commenting Wendy! I think you could take this salad a lot of different directions!

February 16, 2011 | 5:17 pm

Thank you Alissa! When I am brainstorming I never know quite what kind of recipe I will come up with!

February 17, 2011 | 10:40 am

That looks delicious. I think I would go with some yellow wax beans and leave off the cheese to make it dairy free. I love the color and flavor the blueberries add.

You might be interested in this post on blue cheeses:

February 17, 2011 | 1:11 pm

That is great info (and good news!) Thank you so much Linda!

9. christy
    February 18, 2011 | 10:48 am

i LOVE fennel…i eat it raw..but it is also amazing roasted. growing up it would come out after any big dinner as a pre-dessert digestive. your salad looks amazing…i think i could serve that for dinner with a simple grilled chicken breast. yumm..i can hardly wait :) thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

February 18, 2011 | 11:25 am

Thank you Christy! I use fennel a lot when I am cooking Italian Sausage too- it is a natural combination since there are fennel seeds in the sausage. Yum!