Gluten Free Coconut Cake

Here is a recipe for all of you coconutaholics!

This cake is very rich with of all of the coconut and coconut cream.  There is no added sugar because it has a can of coconut cream and a cup of sweetened shredded coconut in it.

This recipe is very easy because you make most of it in your blender!

After blending, fold the mixture into the beaten egg whites along with 1 cup of sweetened shredded coconut and then bake.

I got the idea for this method from a cake recipe that Elana of Elanas Pantry posted.  Thank you Elana!  I love browsing recipes for time saving easy methods that I can tweak into my own recipe vision!

Be sure to prepare your cake pan with parchment paper in the bottom- I think the result might not be pretty if you don’t!

There are 4 beaten egg whites in the batter so the cake will rise to the top of the cake pan, then it sinks evenly as it cools.

This cake looks really pretty if you frost it with the meringue frosting and the shredded coconut.  It is also yummy without the frosting and extra coconut.

I have a minimal amount of sugar in the frosting because I didn’t want it to be too sweet with the cake.

I found that after refrigerating the leftover cake overnight, the meringue had mostly disappeared but the coconut was still nicely stuck to the cake.  The cake also gets much more moist after sitting overnight- if you are serving it to guests you should make it the same day!

I shared this recipe with Twelve Days Of Bloggie-mas at A Moderate Life, Foodie Friday at Designs By Gollum, Food On Friday at Ann Kroeker, Friday Potluck at Ekat’s Kitchen, Finer Things Friday at The Finer Things In Life, Feature Yourself Friday at Fingerprints On The Fridge, Potluck Sunday at Mommy’s Kitchen, Fun With Food Friday at Paisley Passions, Fat Camp Friday at Mangoes And Chutney, Sweets For A Saturday at Sweet As Sugar Cookies, Allergy Friendly Friday at Cybele Pascal Allergy Friendly Cuisine, This Weeks Cravings at Mom’s Crazy Cooking, Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty And Bedlam

8 Responses to Gluten Free Coconut Cake
  1. Donnie
    January 13, 2011 | 7:21 pm

That looks delicious and not too many steps. Thanks for sharing.

January 13, 2011 | 9:45 pm

Thanks for your comment Donnie!

3. Amy
    January 14, 2011 | 4:32 pm

What a lovely cake. My mother is a coconut lover. I’ll make this for her when she visit next time!

I’m having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit your entry. Good Luck! http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html#comments

January 14, 2011 | 6:43 pm

Hi Amy! Thanks for your comment! Please let me know how you like the cake when you make it!

5. Sarah
    January 15, 2012 | 7:22 pm

Instead of making the flour mixture, can you just use coconut flour?

February 17, 2012 | 11:58 am

Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for your question! I would think that you absolutely could use coconut flour in place of the GF flour mix. I just have not worked with coconut flour yet.

7. wendy
    August 27, 2013 | 12:38 pm

potato starch flour?????

8. admin
    August 29, 2013 | 12:52 pm

Hi Wendy,

Potato starch is a common ingredient in gluten free baking. I started using it years ago after buying Betty Hagman’s book: http://us.macmillan.com/theglutenfreegourmetsecondedition/BetteHagman

I am still using her original mixture of 3 gluten free flours for much of my baking- rice flour (I use brown rice flour that is really finely milled), potato starch and tapioca starch. They each contribute some desired characteristics to the finished product. Some recipes convert easily to gluten free and others are more difficult to get the texture and “chew” so that the end result is just as good as the original with gluten. I have been playing with a new recipe for zucchini cookies and need to make it one more time with my last changes (the fourth try I think!), but it got too hot to bake this summer here in AZ! I will make them again when it cools down.

A couple of brands of potato starch (not to be confused with potato flour- that is very different and can’t be substituted), in case you don’t have a local source:

http://www.amazon.com/Authentic-Foods-Potato-Starch/dp/B00022DRVK/ref=sr_1_9?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1377658345&sr=1-9&keywords=potato+starch (this is what I buy)

Hope my info helps!