Chocolate Mousse You Make In A Blender

Welcome to my brand new gluten free recipe blog!

The first recipe that I am going to share with you is everybody’s favorite!

It is a Chocolate Mousse that you make in your blender and it only takes 10 minutes to prepare!

I first saw this recipe in bon appetit  magazine a couple of years ago.  Their version used chocolate chips for all of the chocolate.  After making it that way the first time, I decided that it would taste even better with dark chocolate.

I experimented with about 10 different brands of chocolate and then settled on Droste Extra Dark Pastilles combined with 1/4  cup of Nestles chocolate chips.

The original bon appetit recipe also had a little bit of sugar in it- it didn’t need it!

This recipe is almost dairy free with only 1 tablespoon of butter for 4 servings.  The butter is to get rid of the “chalky” taste/feel that it had.  Now it’s perfect!

In this recipe three egg whites are blended with the chocolate mixture in the blender.  The egg whites make up for the lack of whipping cream that would be in a traditional Chocolate Mousse recipe.

The egg whites don’t actually get cooked, so if you have any doubts about raw eggs, try using pasturized dried egg whites instead.

This recipe makes 4 servings.  I make the mousse in ramekins but they would look great served in antique teacups or any other small containers.

There is nothing “bad” in this Chocolate Mousse and everyone that has tried it likes it better than the traditional recipes that are loaded with lots of cream and sugar.  My recipe has all of the nice creamy mousse texture and deep chocolate flavor without the guilt!

I hope you will try this recipe- you will be amazed how easy it is to prepare and how incredible it tastes!

Thank you to bon appetit for the idea of making mousse in a blender!

I have created several other flavors of mousse as well- you will see those posted soon!

Enjoy!

I shared this recipe with This Weeks Cravings at Moms Crazy Cooking, Sweets For A Saturday at Sweet As Sugar Cookies, Monday Mania at The Healthy Home Economist, Full Plate Thursdays at Miz Helen’s Country Cottage, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli ‘N Son

11 Responses to Chocolate Mousse You Make In A Blender
  1. Emily R
    July 22, 2010 | 11:31 am

Just to let you know, there is no salmonella in egg whites, it is only in the yolks, so you don’t have to worry about using pasteurized eggs.

July 22, 2010 | 11:34 am

Thanks Emily! That is great news because I always try to err on the side of caution with food safety!

3. Andrea @ Fork Fingers Chopsticks
    October 21, 2010 | 10:09 am

What a great first post! You can’t go wrong with chocolate and easy to make mousse. Thanks for sharing and reminding me about this recipe. I look forward to reading your posts.

4. Tina @ MOhMS CRAZY COOKING
    March 22, 2011 | 7:13 pm

Thanks so much for linking to THIS WEEK’S CRAVINGS… we are already enjoying over 100 recipes, so make sure to stop back by and see all the different CHOCOLATE stuff! It’s gonna be one SWEET week of all CHOCOLATE!

And don’t forget to come back next week (Monday) for “HIDDEN INGREDIENT”… “What can you hide in your recipes?”

March 22, 2011 | 10:42 pm

Thanks Tina!

6. D.
    June 6, 2011 | 8:15 am

Personally, I’d rather see you use real cream than egg whites. But that’s just me.

June 6, 2011 | 8:31 am

Hi Deb, Thanks for your comment. I don’t use cream because my body doesn’t do well with dairy products. Egg whites (and yokes) are super good for you so I am very happy to use them in my desserts.

8. angie
    June 9, 2011 | 5:40 pm

I love this recipe one that I can make easy and share with my daughter who is on a gluten free diet

June 9, 2011 | 9:51 pm

Thank you Angie! This is an amazing recipe!

10. Miz Helen
    June 10, 2011 | 10:16 am

Hi Andrea,
    What a great Chocolate Mousse and in the blender that is so easy. Great recipe! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday, have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

June 10, 2011 | 12:08 pm

You are so sweet Miz Helen! Thank you!